Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Purchasing an amplifier for my Model 19's

  1. #1
    Inactive Member jaysonemery's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2004
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hi all
    Just discovered this forum, great to find so many other fans out there for the Model 19's.
    I'm about to upgrade for Amplifier, from an older Kenwood KRF V5020 80watt Amp.
    Any suggestions for a replacement?
    It needs to be at least 5.1. and cost around $1000 - $1500 Australian ($700 - $1000 US).
    I've been thinking about a Yamaha RX-V650 though havn't sat down and listened to any yet. What do others think?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Your best bet is to browse the AVS forums, they pick to pieces all the various offerings to find what the best bang/buck is in each product category.

    GM

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member djnagle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have spoken to a number of people who think the new digitial panisonic reciever is the cat's meow. I am kind of a tube guy my self but the digitail stuff sounds pretty good. Kind of a cross between tubes and SS. Check this link for more information.

    http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/bbs.html

  4. #4
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If you want great bang for the buck, keep an eye out for a nice old Sherwood tube itegrated amp, they can be had for pretty good value & sound excellent. Model S-5000 40 watts per channel or model S-5500 32 watts PC is plenty of power for the model 19 & they warm up those horns real nice!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a Denon 5.1 amp model AVC3030 that I got because it was considered "old stuff" after the 6.1 systems arrived. It sure sounds nice and has plenty of features and the price was in your range. I suggest you might want to consider one.

    My brother has a Yamaha 6.1 system (I don't know the model number) and it is driving a pair of VOTT's right and left front with 4 Klipsch doing the surround stuff. It has a very nice sound and the whole system can be driven to very high volumes with remarkable clarity. (probably because of the VOTTs ;-)

    Regards,

  6. #6
    Inactive Member boltupright's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2003
    Posts
    179
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OOPs, didn't read the 5.1 part.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member hifi1's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 19th, 2004
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use an Adcom 5800 on my 19's, it is a rather powerful amp for them (250 watts per channel) but they play beautifully, at any volume level.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would consider a separate processor for the home theater realm. You then have more options such as a tube amplifier to warm up the sound. For a new one you may consider the outlaw audio processors. You can check them out at www.outlawaudio.com

  9. #9
    Inactive Member siulau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I am using tube amp for my 19 and don't think of changing to other.

    Am using a cheapie Pioneer surround amp for my home theatre.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member DeadFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 28th, 2004
    Posts
    6
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    First post here, so bear with me.

    My recent months experience with my 19s is for God's sake, try and give a listen to something similar to what you want to buy, before plunking down money.
    After months of trying to 'tame' my Altecs to 60 watts of Bryston SS, I had to give up and went to tubes. A tubed pre amp helped, but ultimately, I had to look another direction, and since I have sang the praises of Bryston for years, listening to them daily, who'da thunk it?
    I would personally be very wary myself before committing solidstate at all to my 19s.
    Besides, I got to learn about a whole 'nother beast switching to tubes. :-)

    Good luck in your hunt, and I for one would like to hear your end decision. As you know, stumbling up info on 19s is difficult and spotty and this place is a gold mine of information.
    (That's why I've been lurking to try and think of intelligent questions).
    Greetings everyone else. Nice place here.
    Thanks for being here.

    Regards,
    DeadFish

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.